Sunday, December 13, 2009

Paige is going to her forever home

Today Paige is going to her forever home. I am so thrilled for her and so sad for me and my family. But I’ve been saying since she to me that what she needs is a farm with other dogs, some livestock for interest, a quiet household and a family with patience and compassion. And that is what she is getting.

Paige has come so far. In September she was a scared little dog with little understanding of dog-human interaction. I praise the volunteers in MT who got her healthy and who opened the door for me with Paige. I had decided early on I had to treat her like a normal dog but accept her abnormal limitations. I think I got the first part right and underestimated her on the latter. I all but had to dump her out of her crate when she got here. The first few days were intense. Paige HAD to go to the vet for a heartworm test. She HAD to be bathed. These were real challenges. But despite her fear her true disposition came through with small, tentative licks to the face. No eye-to-eye contact, but side glances and licks. What potential!

Over time we progressed to being on the lead all the time to being in the yard without. It took a few days for her to realize that if I called or whistled, chances were she would get fed or get a treat. Thank goodness ES are such chow-hounds! She bonded with my dog Sheba and looked to her for cues. It took days for Paige to take treats from my hand and I almost cried once she did! Once she stopped pacing every time she came into the house things really started to move forward.

Here’s where she is now:

•She’s completely housebroken, but won’t whine to get out… only paces. She understands "wanna go out?".

•Paige comes when called but still has a hard time going through doorways, unless it’s feeding time (hunger trumps fear).

•She still doesn’t like to eat in front of people but will tolerate it. •She’ll settle in right away when she comes in unless there is a stranger (or my husband) in the room.

•She likes to sit by my chair in the kitchen or at work, unless there is too much commotion nearby.

•Early on Paige saw Sheba getting petted and loved and wanted in on that action. At first it was “get a pet and run”. Now she sticks around.

•Paige will run with a pack to play but still doesn’t go for the toy. •She’s a GREAT watch dog, but probably needs to learn to stop barking a bit sooner than she does now. I was just so thrilled to have her bark when appropriate, I’ve left her to her own devises for a while.

•She walks beautifully on the lead (actually came that way) even with other dogs. •She’ll tolerate brushing and nail clipping but, like a lot of dogs, would rather be anywhere else.

•Only recently has Paige taken treats from a non-family member. It took her days to take treats from me, a couple weeks to take them from my eldest daughter and more than a month to take a treat from my youngest. So this stranger thing is a huge leap forward!

•In the evenings after dinner and rest time, she really, really plays! She “gets” the chase game and will puppy bow and then take off racing a round the yard once or twice and come back for more. She’ll also come looking for petting and “butt scratches” then – and woe to you if you stop too soon! I don’t know why in the evenings she does this, but she does.

Paige has been a wonderful addition to my family and she will be missed greatly. Letting her go is so very hard. I’m not sure I’m really cut out for foster work but I will always be grateful for this opportunity and for getting to know and help Paige.

Laura

1 comment:

Rob said...

This is sad but wonderful at the same time. Thanks for all the work you've done with Paige.